Custom Ice Blue Pearl Hayabusa

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Ice Blue Pearl Hayabusa

Fixing to start a 75 day turn around and I've been itching to dip the bike again, so took the plunge while I still had a couple of free weekends left. Everything I purchased on my list was used. Ended up adding all 3 bottles of white tint to the gallon of light blue dip, I thought I maybe got too many, but was perfect. After finishing off the gallon, mixed the pearl into the TopCoat and sprayed it. Removed all fairings (kept my satin black GSXR1K fender), wiped down the bike, taped everything off, wiped down with PreDip and sprayed it all in one afternoon/night. To be honest, I was actually disappointed in the final color at first. Under the shop lights (and probably too many Rum & Dr. Pepper's, lol) it looked more of a turquoise color. When I brought a piece out in the sun Saturday it was nothing like under the shop lights and was exactly the color I was going for.

This is my 3rd dip on the bike and I'm sure won't be my last. While it is by far my favorite color, it is also the worse dip of the 3 as far as quality. It was a new experience messing with TopCoat and pearl and I got over zealous in a few spots on the tail and had some runs. I attempted to fix it with a coat of Xylene, but it lost it's shine. I'll come back this evening and spray a can of TopCoat on the tail, assuming I can find it locally.

Of course, like the other 2 dips, cut my own factory-looking satin black graphics on my wife's vinyl cutter. Ended up having light blue pin striping laying around that I originally was going to use on the truck until after spraying it light blue....it ended up looking identical to OEM grabber blue so never used them.

This color is a SOB to get on pictures. My DLSR just can't capture the color as it looks in person. I believe my phone took more color accurate pictures of it, I'll get some uploaded later today. It's not quite as light of a blue in person as it looks on pictures.

Original light blue dip

While adding the 3 bottles of white tint

Base coat

TopCoat & Ocean Blue pearl

The outcome

2010 Grabber Blue Dipped Raptor #9436 of 10437 6.2L All Options, 2013 Headlights, 100% LED Conversion, HornBlasters 240
    2009 Electric Lime Pearl Hayabusa Widened Stock Wheel, Zero Chrome, Stretched, Low & Fast
    2006 Shocker Yellow & Chrome Honda CRF50Z

Thanks! Here's a couple pictures of how it looks like in person, damn camera, lol.

2010 Grabber Blue Dipped Raptor #9436 of 10437 6.2L All Options, 2013 Headlights, 100% LED Conversion, HornBlasters 240
    2009 Electric Lime Pearl Hayabusa Widened Stock Wheel, Zero Chrome, Stretched, Low & Fast

Comment

Looks pretty dope.

Comment

I really need to clarify, I mixed the pearl into TOPCOAT and not DipCoat. I originally called it TopCoat and went back to change it because it didn't sound right, lol.

I'm just not happy with how the tail came out, I tried to fix it with Xylene but apparently that doesn't work well with TopCoat. I picked up a can of Glossifier last night and put that on the tail so least it has some shine to it. Live and learn, I'll follow what I did the first 2 times I dipped the bike and prep everything one evening and come back the next day and spray it, then following day to put it back together.

At any rate, here is a comparison of what they call light blue on the truck (and I call Grabber blue) vs the custom mix + pearl + TopCoat on the bike. This picture also gives you an idea on what the color of the bike really is in person. Please ignore the messy shop, I was in the middle of building a trailer when I decided to dip the bike, lol.

Comment

If sub zero had a bike this would be it lol
          A modded 06' 370 & an 07' 426
          My YouTube
          sigpic

Comment

I like it...I thought the Green was really cool but I think this trumps it! TopCoat is tough the first time you spray it but looks good in my opinion.

Comment

Im with Adam, I thought the green was nice but that blue is superb. One question though, did you add the Kanji graphic later or did you just tape it up? Looking for ideas on spare Hayabusa plastics!

Comment

pretty color

Comment

Originally posted by redciv1 View Post
                  Im with Adam, I thought the green was nice but that blue is superb. One question though, did you add the Kanji graphic later or did you just tape it up? Looking for ideas on spare Hayabusa plastics!

Thanks and I agree! I added the Kanji graphic design after the dip, but have to put on before the DipCoat spray. Decals have stuck great through riding, washes, etc. Highly recommend dipping some spare plastics or originals, can't beat the change for $100!

Comment

I have to say that is damn sexy
                    sigpic
                    I was sane once.
                    A man named Fonzie came to me with a can
                    It was what was in that can that drove me Mad
                    -MAD MITO

Fourth Big Dipper (500/post)
                    First Pro Dipper (1000/post)
                    First Veteran Dipper (1500/post)
                    Third OG Dipper (3000/post)
                    Third KingPin Dipper (4000/post)

Comment

Originally posted by mito View Post
                      i have to say that is damn sexy
                      thanks!

Comment

Looks great, but I have a question. I am getting ready to dip my GSXR 600 and my worry is dipping the under belly. I've seen you have, have you cleaned your chain yet since? I am afraid if any drips on it, it will ruin the dip on the bottom. I am going pearl white so a factory black underbelly won't look terrible anyway, but would prefer to go full white on fairings. Any help is appreciated, again yours turned out great.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGentleArt View Post
                          Looks great, but I have a question. I am getting ready to dip my GSXR 600 and my worry is dipping the under belly. I've seen you have, have you cleaned your chain yet since? I am afraid if any drips on it, it will ruin the dip on the bottom. I am going pearl white so a factory black underbelly won't look terrible anyway, but would prefer to go full white on fairings. Any help is appreciated, again yours turned out great.
                          I can't quite answer that, my bike is FILTHY right now. I washed it once since the dip and it cleaned up nicely and I didn't notice any issues. Right after dipping it I put on a new chain, the rear wheel is coated from the grease/oil they put on chains from the manufacter so all that flung off. Other than it being on my wheel, I didn't notice any issues on my fairings when I washed it.

Comment

Cool, thanks!

Comment

InfinityReality sorry im late to the party.how did you find wheel stripes to match?

Comment

Working...
                              X